« Home | Did you notice if you turn a heart upside down it ... » | I'm gonna take you over. » 

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 

There he goes

My son is growing up.

I know. I know. Everyone goes through this. Mothers and fathers everywhere have witnessed the changes come over their babies as they make their transitions into adulthood. Some of those can be subtle undercurrents while others are lightning quick!

My particular 12 year old's voice has changed. Earlier this year, it was still high and 6 weeks ago it began to get really scratchy and gravelly. It never cracked though, not like Peter's did on the Brady Bunch. It just had the quality of an old torch singer's voice. I can almost hear what it will sound like in the future.

A few days ago we were both outside and I caught a glimpse of his profile. In addition to the light line of dark hair that's steadily been cropping up on his upper lip since Easter, WHISKERS -- WHISKERS people, are growing like dandilions on my baby's chin! I don't know if I'm going to have to buy him a weed-eater or a Remington!

His favorite feature as he changes though is the fact that he's as tall as me now.

Mr. 5 feet and 7 inches thankyouverymuch.

He laughs at me in a surprisingly nonpatronizing way when I tease him and say, "Very soon I'm going to be killing my neck and bending it backwards just to look up at you to yell, 'Did you take the garbage out yet?!?' or 'Don't take that tone with me, young man!!!'."

And then he leaves to go back to saving the world from invading martians on the PS2, while I wipe the little tears in my eyes away.