« Home | Chicken...make a lousy housepet! » | All aboard! » | Give them something to talk about? » | Give a little bit. » | I keep holdin' on to yesterday. » | Tie me up, tie me down. » | There he goes » | Did you notice if you turn a heart upside down it ... » | I'm gonna take you over. » 

Monday, September 19, 2005 

Hair today and tomorrow

I don't get it.

My son has bee-yoo-tee-ful hair. It's a gorgeous dark brown with to die for chestnut highlights. It's the color I'd LOVE to find in a bottle for my own dye job. It's full without being too thick and it shines like a brand new penny. It's straight, unlike mine which has a natural wave to it and he won't have to ever EVER worry about his father's untimely receeding hairline affecting him.

When he was born, my kid's hair was sandy blonde. He wasn't ever a full on tow-head...but he had enough of the blonde going on that I wondered if it would stay with him most of his life. Then, when he was about 2, I was giving him a "trim" at home and needless to say...got way carried away with the clippers and gave the poor kid a buzz cut.

It started growing back the color it is now and he's asked me if I'm responsible for making him miss his opportunity to be a blonde. He's never let me forget it. Not. ever. No. forgetting. Ever.

When his hair is clean and he's just dried it with the hair-dryer, you really have to restrain yourself from running your fingers through it. It's enough to make any male model from an Abercrombie & Fitch ad green with envy...it's THAT sweet. But that's not good enough for him.

WHY, can somebody just tell me WHY it is that he feels the need to transform himself into Moe Howard? No offense please. I love the Stooges just as much as anyone -- n'yuk, n'uyk -- but soitenly, there has got to be a reason he plasters each and every hair down onto his head!

We've had many a heated tete a tete over this. His says he likes his "style" and I ask him how many other kids run around with bowl cuts at school. I ask him to ask his girl friends (girls who are friends) what kind of hair cuts they think he would look good in. He gets mad and says they would laugh at him for asking that.

I'm thinking, "And they aren't laughing at you with the shallacked do?"

I know he's got to create his own sense of self, his own style, his own HIM. I know I cannot possibly dictate who he is becoming. But for the love of all double crosses and why yie ottas -- I just want to see his forehead again!