« Home | Don't give up on us baby » | Wot U (Think U) Need » | Hair today and tomorrow » | Chicken...make a lousy housepet! » | All aboard! » | Give them something to talk about? » | Give a little bit. » | I keep holdin' on to yesterday. » | Tie me up, tie me down. » | There he goes » 

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Dear PRETEEN,

As I watch you changing daily, gnawing on your fingernails and cuticles, trying to figure out what's real about this world and what's fabricated, I want to jump on your ass and cram you into a box and not let you out ever again.

No really, it upsets me to see you changing all the time, doing this "I'm growing up" thing. So what if I did it to your grandparents, MY growing up didn't rip their hearts out! I can't stand to see you leave your childhood behind. You didn't trick or treat this Halloween because when you croak the phrase out, it sounds like James Earl Jones sucking on helium. You loom in the distance like a tall, willowy figure except that you hunch over with your hands thrust into your hoodie and your chin at your chest because walking upright isn't cool.

Oh sweet child of mine, one minute you're wanting to play (just for old times sake) the old peek a boo game that would cause you to emit hiccup-laced giggles as a baby and the next, you're hording the telephone talking to JV about football or girls or why that music is so sick.

You can definitely be four seasons in one day. I know you have a lot of turmoil to put up with inside your head. I know that sticking out for ANY reason is far too stressful than being one of the walking lemmings. I know that while your nearly 13 years of life haven't been the most conventional, they certainly have been hundreds of times better than most. Which is why I cannot abide by the disrespectful nature you have been adopting lately.

My son, until you are old enough to leave the house and begin your own journey through this world, you WILL abide by my rules. These rules are set by me for your own protection, safety and all around wellness. I am not trying to keep you from becoming anything but a sensible person who makes decisions based upon logic instead of flipping a coin. I would also rather see you come to despise me for making you get up and go to school only to be "BORED TO DEATH" for six and a half hours a day, than hear you asking me if I "want fries with that" six and a half years from now.

I do NOT want to run your life. I repeat: I DO NOT WANT TO RUN YOUR LIFE! However, until the day comes when you are sufficiently capable of doing it ALL on your own, I will be your superior officer with the 37 years of experience you lack. I may not know everything, but I sure do know a lot more than you! So don't you DARE take that tone with me cause I will catapult you into next week so fast, your clothes will be last year's cast offs!

I know you love me. I know you're a good person. I know you detest waking up in the morning just as much as I do. But guess what? Going to school is the EASY part! Getting an education is so much BETTER than working day after day in a dead-end job. You can be ANYTHING you want my boy. The sky is the limit, and with the space program -- it probably isn't even that! You are so smart and you're a natural at so many things, just don't sell yourself short!

And really, if you wouldn't mind...please give me a break. You know I'm your #1 fan. You do for me and I'm there for you. Take the trash out and make sure Piper gets her dinner before we find her chewing on your socks or the chair again. Please just cut out this business of being conveniently lazy! Your brain is too good to waste.

I love you my boy, my son, my darling baby.